How to sew Adult diapers
If you or anyone you know has to wear disposable protection for incontinence (depends, tranquility, poise…etc), then you realize how expensive of an endeavor it can be to control the problem. Of course it is an apparent need, so why not “go green” and sew your own reusable adult cloth diapers?
The first step of ‘how to sew an adult diaper’ is going to be to decide what type of protection the wearer needs.
Assuming it is you who needs the protection, ask yourself the following questions: Do you need an adult diaper that you simply throw in the wash and has the ‘soaker’ built in? Do you need something that you can adjust the soaking capability? Do you need a diaper that is ‘waterproof’ or do you need a diaper that is for very light protection?
Lets talk about your options.
1. If you want to know how to sew an adult diaper that you never have to mess with, sew an All In One (AIO) style adult diaper. This style of diaper has the soaker sewn into it so you’ll never have to worry about stuffing it when it comes out of the wash. This is the most like disposables.
2. If you want to know how to sew an adult diaper that you can adjust the soaking capability, choose to sew a ‘pocket’ style. This is an adult cloth diaper that has an opening for putting in as much or as little soaker as your individual needs are. This is the most commonly sought after style of cloth adult diapers.
3. If you want to know how to sew an adult diaper an adult diaper that doesn’t need to be ‘waterproof’, choose to sew an All In Two (AI2) style adult diaper. This style simply does not have a waterproof barrier. Many times incontinence issues are so minor that the wearer doesn’t need any more bulk then necessary, so they choose to go with an AI2. Another reason to choose an AI2 is if you already have a leak proof barrier cover.
The second step of ‘how to sew an adult diaper’ is going to be to find an adult diaper pattern.
I prefer to do all of my pattern shopping online. A good sewing pattern is going to have the following things:
1. An adult diaper pattern should have a detailed “Supply List”. The supply list is very important because it tells the ‘sewer/maker’ what fabrics and supplies they will need to make the cloth diaper.
2. An adult diaper pattern should have “helpful hints”. When you are making anything for the first time, or even the 100th time, it is nice to have good instructions from people who make them more then you. Budget friendly hints can help you design your own adult diaper from cheaper fabrics and supplies. Hints on how to choose various fabrics depending on individual needs are worth every bit of reading. Hints on how to sew certain types of fabric should also be included in the pattern.
3. An adult diaper pattern should have a size chart. This allows the ‘sewer/maker’ to correctly choose the proper size for the wearer.
3. An adult diaper pattern should have printable pattern pieces. Do not purchase or try to follow a pattern that has you draft your own pattern. This takes time that you could be sewing a stash of reusable adult diapers for yourself.
Lets face it: you are going to purchase the sewing pattern online…so why not have pieces that you can print from your home printer? Not only that, but with printable pattern pieces, you can print over and over so you never have to worry about the ‘first cut’ being the wrong one.
4. An adult diaper pattern should have a step by step tutorial with images for each step. This is the BEST part about purchasing a sewing pattern online. Pictures should be clear and have descriptions that accurately describe the step.
5. The most important thing: The best adult diaper pattern is going to have OPTIONS. If you read through the first step in this article, you have probably decided which type of adult diaper you want…but wouldn’t it be better if you could have all the options in the same purchase? Choose an adult diaper pattern that has the options of being an AIO, Pocket or AI2!
The third step of ‘how to sew an adult cloth diaper’ is going to be shopping for fabrics and supplies.
Once you purchase the adult diaper pattern, you’ll need to buy the stuff to get it done. Most diaper making supply stores online are the best priced and easiest to find. You may be able to find some supplies at a local fabric store, but save the headache and order online.
The fourth step of ‘how to sew an adult diaper’ is going to be making your own adult diaper stash.
Follow the adult diaper pattern directions and step by step images to sew the cloth diapers. Sew some with fun printed fabric for the days when you are feeling lively. This is your body and you deserve to have some adorable incontinence underpants that make you feel protected and secure about yourself.
There are very limited adult diaper patterns available. The adult diaper pattern
that gives you all of options listed is made by Mamma Can Do It. Simply download and get your adult cloth diaper
0 thoughts on “How to sew adult diapers”
Why do not you write a lot of often? i actually like your posts. Adult Disposable Diaper Manufacturer